VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible

After I upgraded my workstation to Windows 10,  I am no longer able to power on guest OS on VMware operating system and received error as below

‘VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation’

After some searching, I found that it is caused by ‘hypervisorlaunchtype’ on windows loader is set to ‘Auto’.

Disable Hyper-V

To disable Hyper-V role, follow the steps below

•  Open ‘cmd’ prompt with elevated privileges i.e.) with Administrator access
  • To disable Hyper-V, run following command

• Restart computer

Enable Hyper-V

To enable Hyper-V, follow the steps below

•  Open ‘cmd’ prompt with elevated privileges i.e.) with Administrator access
  • To disable Hyper-V, run following command

• Restart computer

References

(Visited 348 times, 4 visits today)

Tagged: , , ,

Comments: 10

1. Vítor Oliveira December 17, 2015 at 7:01 pm Reply

if you’re using Windows 10, and need to use VMWare. You have to do those steps
    After some updates in Windows 10, the Hyper-v is on by default.

• suky January 17, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reply

I’ve done the steps, and restarted windows (although I didn’t shut if off completely) and it didn’t work. The same error of “You are running VMware Workstation through an incompatible hypervisor. You cannot power on a virtual machine until this hypervisor is disabled” appears. Any ideas? – Thanks! 🙂

• suky January 19, 2017 at 6:10 am Reply

I was able to fix it!.. I eventually found the configuration file in the mac documents, not in the windows and from there I was able to edit it. Thank you very much! 🙂

• Vivek January 26, 2017 at 7:48 am

I am facing the same problem. I installed vmware on windows 10 but i am not able to run virtual machine giving same error. Hyper V is not installed on windows. Can you help me with steps you did to solve your problem?

2. […] and Hyper-V are not compatible’ issue. I had this issue previously and fixed it (Read: http://www.lakshmikanth.com/vmware-workstation-and-hyper-v-are-not-compatible/ for […]

3. […] [VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible] […]

4. Nicole M. Blewett May 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm Reply

On my win 10 box vmware worket without problems and now even if I did enabled/disabled Hyper-V as described here and even if I have manually disabled it from control panel it still not working … grrr

5. bentiro been August 17, 2018 at 11:01 am Reply

. Keto Ultra Diet
    It enables you to handle wanting thus the personal will quickly management their hunger amid getting

6. jiyoo jiyoo August 18, 2018 at 9:28 am Reply

PureFit Keto
    two get one item, are available at “$33.33 each”, plus absolutely free. This could be considered as an overall of $66.66 or as $99.99; we suspicious that it is the greater cost. Five containers, promoted as a